Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Weakness

I have a weakness. It's called my mind. I could label it as many things: chocolate, wine, cookies, cheese, and on and on, but really, it all starts in my mind. If I can justify something, I'll do it. Or eat it. And so, I've adopted some verses and statements to help me overcome this weakness- the first and most repeated is 2 Cor 12:9-10 "EACH TIME he said, 'My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.' So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong." Galatians 5:24 "Those who belong to Jesus Christ have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there." Philippians 2:13 "For God is working in you, giving you the DESIRE and the POWER to do what pleases him." A couple of quotes from "Made to Crave" by Lysa Terkeurst "Compromise built upon compromise equals failure. Promise built upon promise equals empowerment." "You were made for more."

I have these in front of me at work all day long. And I can choose to ignore them. I can choose not to look at my wall. I can choose to pretend it doesn't exist. Or, I can choose to read them. I can choose to let the words wash over me. I can choose to let go of the guilt and shame I feel when I don't do something I should, or do something I shouldn't. I can choose to obey right away, instead of delaying it, which really is full disobedience. I keep thinking of a lyric to a song I was recently introduced to "A fish can obey you, but I can't" And I really really can't. That's why it has to be something God gives me the power to do. He will- I just have to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment