Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Chicken and Christianity

So, the big debacle today is supporting a chicken fast food restaurant because of the CEO's beliefs. While I agree with him, and the points that he made, it doesn't present itself as an opportunity to stick it to the unbelievers, as least not in my book. However, apparently to a lot of Christians (over a half million so far according to the web) it's a good reason to pick a fight. Now, I don't necessarily think we started this one, but I'm still searching for the passage of Scripture that particularly mentions doing something just to make someone else feel bad. I haven't found it yet.

I have a friend who struggles with same-sex attraction. Or he did, before he got so hurt and fed up with the church that he decided to stop struggling and just go with it. I felt compelled to tell him I love him. He replied, said he loved me too, and that he really appreciated me saying that to him today. I'm still weepy as I type this, and it was a good half hour ago. My heart just breaks. How many people would we actually reach for Christ if there was more "I love you" and less "I'm going to (fill-in-the-blanks) to spite you"

I'm not saying I'm a great person; I'm not. I lack mercy, tact, and compassion most days of the week. But being who I am, and making the choice to say what I did made a huge impact on me today. More love, less political correctness. More love, less fighting. More love, less hate. More love, less unbelievers? Hmmm...well Jesus did say "Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.” John 13:35. But I'm sure he just meant that for the disciples of that day, and not for us advanced 21st century Christians, right? 


And before you get all self-righteous on me, arguing that we are supposed to call out sin, let me remind you of these things. 

1. You only get to call out the sin of a fellow believer, and one you have a relationship with. You are not meant to call out sins of non-believers. 

2. If you call out one sin, you must call them all out. Which includes lying, adultery, greed, and our favorite-not-ever-called-out-sin, gluttony. Your sin is the same thing in God's eyes!


Ok, everybody take a breath. Rant currently over! What I really want to leave you with today is a sense of purpose- our purpose, our responsibility as Christ-followers is to LOVE other people. The Bible makes no distinctions! It doesn't matter who it is, what they believe, what color they are, who they're married to- we are supposed to love them!! Think about those in your life today, no matter where they are in their spiritual journey, that could benefit from being reminding that you love them. You never know what impact God's love through you can have.

No comments:

Post a Comment